Despite reports of a possible economic slowdown, demand for Finance & Accounting (F&A) professionals continues to soar, keeping our Finance & Accounting recruitment team busier than ever. For example, compared to this time last year, we’ve seen an increased demand of 480% for finance admin professionals and 200% for accounts payable professionals.
If you’re looking to hire in this competitive space, read on.
We’ve gathered key insights from our Finance & Accounting team, including top roles, tips for attracting talent in this competitive sector, our forecast and more.
Top roles we’re seeing this year include:
- Finance Officer/Analyst
- Accounts Payable/Receivable
- Finance Director/Manager/Business Partner
- Accounting Admin/Clerk
- F&A Administrator
- Property Accountant
Top three insights from 14,000 candidates
Our team has interviewed more than 14,000 candidates since the beginning of 2022. Here are their top three insights.
1. Finance and accounting candidates prefer remote work
Like many IT professionals, finance and accounting candidates cite the need for a quiet space to do their job and feel they can accomplish their tasks more easily from home than onsite. While many organizations are not able to provide flexible work options and are seeking a return to full-time onsite work, the majority of finance and accounting candidates we’ve spoken to are looking for either fully remote or hybrid roles.
2. Salaries for finance and accounting roles are rising
Rising inflation combined with stiff competition in the F&A space means many of today’s candidates are asking for higher salaries. Whereas candidates used to request a salary increase of 10% when switching jobs, we’re now seeing requests for 15-20% above their current salary. We recognize that many employers can’t increase their budgets, but if there is an opportunity to adjust your F&A salaries, now would be the time to consider doing so.
3. Finance and accounting candidates want clear expectations
Candidates report being so disappointed when the requirements and terms of a role are different than advertised, they either drop out of the hiring process or quit after starting the job. They request clear, transparent descriptions of the role, expectations, career growth opportunities, work location and schedule, reporting structure, challenges and issues, and so on.
Three pro tips to attract top talent from our Finance & Accounting recruitment specialists
Our specialized Finance & Accounting staffing agents have three tips to attract talent in today’s market:
More tips: How to compete in a candidate-driven market
Here are some additional tips for attracting and hiring the best Finance & Accounting candidates on the market today:
- Respond quickly: Today’s candidates move fast, and employers need to keep pace. Within 48 hours of receiving a promising resume, book an interview with the candidate.
- Create a great first impression: Include at least two key decision-makers in the first interview, indicating you’re highly interested and serious about hiring.
- Be nimble with your interview process: If you require multiple interviews, have the entire interview team prepped and ready to participate and book all interviews as close together as possible.
- Enroll the candidate in your company: During interviews, share the values of your organization, including skills development and career growth opportunities.
- Make your first offer your best one: Now is not the time to negotiate because you risk losing a top candidate to another offer. Make your first offer your best. Some of our clients even go above and beyond candidates’ initial salary expectations to get them excited. True tale: We worked with a client recently who lowered their salary offering because the candidate’s expectations were low. Guess what happened? The candidate ended up declining the client’s offer one week before starting because they accepted a higher salary from another organization. Result: The client lost out and had to start their search over again.
- Re-think must-haves: Does your candidate need to be fluent in both French and English to do the job? Do you really require PCP certification, or would many years of on-the-job experience suffice?
Our forecast for the rest of 2022
With the number of vacancies across the country (more than one million) outnumbering unemployed workers for the first time since tracking began in 2015, we don’t expect the demand for talent to slow down this year. And while some positions are onsite only or hybrid, we see more employers trying to re-think their workforce strategies and deciding how to accommodate employees who want more flexibility. As businesses look to facilitate business decisions with information at a glance, the ability to visualize and tell a story with data is a hot skill, so it’s no surprise we’re seeing increased demand for Financial BI reporting experience.
Do you have a Finance & Accounting job requirement?
Get in touch with us today to see how our dedicated finance and accounting recruitment professionals can help.