Today our company matches over 8,000 candidates to great jobs each year, making us one of Canada’s largest staffing firms – but this is not how we started.
Our co-founder, Antonio (Toni) Guimaraes moved to Canada from Portugal, and alongside his parents, he experienced the struggles of settling into a new country from an employment, academic, financial and cultural perspective. Toni sought to make a difference for Newcomers like himself. Sadly, Toni was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 2014 and passed away in 2016.
To honour Toni’s journey as a Newcomer, our firm set out to make a difference to the lives of Newcomers in a direct way – by offering paid employment-internships in our company to help catapult their resumes and possibilities.
Established in 2017, our Newcomer Internship Program has welcomed over 70 participants. We have mentored and supported many of our Newcomers into permanent careers.
We’re here to make a difference. We know that many Newcomers to Canada have the skills, education and motivation to be incredible assets to a company… and we also know that getting a foot in the door can be difficult. That’s why getting Canadian experience and on-the-job learning are vital.
Our paid employment-internships involve many things including:
- work experience in Canada in accounting, recruitment, tech support, marketing, or administration
- career coaching including an understanding of the Canadian labour market, and practical tips on how to look for work and how to interview
- one on one resume coaching
- showcasing our Newcomer to our vast client network
You can learn more about our Newcomer Program here:
- Watch our launch video here from 2017 where our co-founder, Kathryn Tremblay, presents the start of the Altis.Excel Newcomer Program.
- Meet Newcomer, Krishna and Paul , and learn about what they gained in their paid internship in March 2021.
- Learn about other Newcomers here.
How can you take part?
REFER a friend who would benefit from a grassroots employment experience and career mentorship. email@example.com
APPLY by submitting your resume here. firstname.lastname@example.org
HIRE one of our Newcomers and help them make immediate career gains. email@example.com
Note that this is not a government sponsored program, and we work with 12 Newcomers per year.